Hello Guest it is September 01, 2024, 03:22:13 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 Issues- ESS Dual Y Axis  (Read 8190 times)

Mach 3 Issues- ESS Dual Y Axis
« on: September 23, 2023, 09:51:59 PM »
Hey guys, going to try and be as clear as possible. Having some major issues and hoping you someone can help me out

I installed a new Avid CNC plug and play ESS controller on my 13'x6' machine. This machine has Dual Y axis motors

Z works perfect
X works perfect
Y1 is extremely slow compared to Y2
Y2 works perfect

To try and troubleshoot we did the following:
-Changed the speed on the B & A (y1) axis to 3x that of the Y2 and Y1 was still slow compared- causing the gantry to torque.
-Set all speeds across all 6 axis to 600 IPM 25 Acceleration and it sped up the Y2 and Y1 but differential was still the same
-Changed the speed on Y1 (A&B) to double that of Y2 and it increased the speed on Y2

My guess is there is some setting inside of Mach 3 that I am not aware of- New to CNC programming and this is the first machine we have built. I have attached setting pictures of the motor tuning, and videos of what the machine is doing.

The only other things I can think of would be:
Remove the setup slave axis?
Gear ratio the same?
Ports in ports and pins are incorrect.
Motor Tuning?

Here is the link the system we bought.

https://www.avidcnc.com/plug-and-play-nema-34-cnc-control-system-p-132.html

Thank you, guys, for your help!
Re: Mach 3 Issues- ESS Dual Y Axis
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 07:58:43 PM »
Maybe I misunderstand, but it seems like a simpler approach would be to wire the two Y-axis stepper drivers to the same Y-axis output on the controller. You may have to swap the windings on one of the motors to get the directions in sync.

We have a 5x10 router with steppers on both ends of the gantry. Each stepper has its own driver. We use the ESS controller, and the Y-axis output connects to the inputs of the drivers for both Y-axis steppers. One of the steppers has one of the windings pairs reversed so that they work in sync.

This would take the complexity out of managing Mach3, just simple XYZ axis controls as though there was only one stepper on each axis. It's also less processing for the ESS to keep up with. Probably a non-issue, but less processing is less work to be done.

Do think about shielded wires inside your cabinet. It may even be wise to keep the lengths of wire going to each of the drivers from the ESS controller equal length to ensure that the signals arrive at the same time. That's probably a little OC, but makes sense, particularly for any places where distances for the two sides of the circuits (either control signals or power drive signals) have significantly different wire lengths.